Help CenterSTRAIGHTERLINE PROCTORING
Proctoring Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a proctored exam?
- Why are StraighterLine final exams proctored?
- Is proctoring required for my exams?
- What if my course doesn't have a final exam?
- When should I schedule my proctoring session for my course?
- How do I schedule my proctoring session?
- What do I need to bring to my proctoring session?
- What if I do not have a webcam?
- What do I need to do to prepare for my proctoring session?
- How do I begin my proctoring session on the day of my exam?
- What should I expect during my proctoring session?
- What materials can I use while taking my final exam?
- How do I get my exam results?
- Can I cancel or change my scheduled proctored exam?
- Does proctoring have a fee?
A: A proctored exam is an exam that is supervised by an approved, neutral person (a proctor) who ensures the identity of the test taker and the integrity of the test taking environment. StraighterLine requires proctoring on all final exams and uses an online proctoring service called ProctorU. ProctorU connects your computer and webcam to their website while the exam is being proctored. Proctoring sessions are taken in the comfort of the student's home (or preferred location) and require a webcam.
A: Proctoring ensures the academic integrity of your course by preventing cheating and verifying that exam guidelines are followed.
A: Yes, StraighterLine requires proctoring for all final exams.
A: Several composition courses, such as English Composition I and Lab Sciences, do not have final exams, so there's no need for proctoring. To ensure academic integrity, written work for such courses is subject to review via plagiarism detection software and other protocols.
Proctoring is not applicable in the following courses:
- Developmental Writing (ENG099)
- English Composition I (ENG101)
- English Composition II (ENG102)
- Anatomy and Physiology I Lab (BIO201L)
- Anatomy and Physiology II Lab (BIO202L)
- General Chemistry I Lab (CHEM101L)
- General Physics I Lab (PHY250L)
- Introduction to Biology Lab (BIO101L)
- Microbiology Lab (BIO250L)
A: Students should schedule proctoring at least 72 hours in advance of your desired exam day. Proctoring is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Expedited scheduling is available for an extra fee.
A: To schedule your proctoring session, please follow this tutorial.
A: You will need to bring the following items to your proctoring session:
- Laptop or desktop computer
- Webcam with a functioning microphone
- If your webcam is built into your laptop or desktop, you will need to bring a reflective surface such as a Smartphone, DVD/CD, or hand mirror. This is needed so your proctor can verify that the monitor surface is clear of any materials.
- U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
- Driver's license or ID card issued by a State provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
- ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
- U.S. Military card
- Foreign passport
A: No worries! Have you checked to make sure your laptop doesn't already have one installed? Most laptops already have them built-in. If your laptop doesn't, students can borrow a friend or family member's computer for a few hours to take the exam. Otherwise one can be purchased for only a few dollars through sites like Amazon or at a local Wal*Mart. Please reach out to a Student Advisor for further assistance with obtaining a webcam for the exam.
A: Prior to your proctoring session you will want to complete the following:
- Test Your Webcam and Computer: Make sure your computer, webcam, microphone, and speakers are installed and working correctly by running ProctorU's System Check (be sure to close out any other webcam software before you run the test). In addition, make sure you have all of ProctorU’s Technical Requirements
- Download Secure Browser: The exams require the use of a secure delivery browser. The Secure Browser is a small download that does not require administration rights to use and install, and is used for the secure delivery of computer based tests. This software does not transfer any information from your machine, nor is it resident in memory when you are not delivering a test. If you do not already have a Secure Browser installed, please use the links below to download a version for your operating system.
- Secure Your Exam Area: Find a well-lit, quiet and private room to take the exam and make sure that only the appropriate exam materials are present. The lighting of your room must be daylight quality and overhead lighting is preferred.
A: To start your proctoring session, please follow this tutorial.
Once you have successfully completed the above process, you are ready to begin your proctored exam. You will be asked to launch the Secure Browser, after which, you will see a page asking for exam ID and password. The Proctor will enter the information using remote desktop to launch your test. You are now ready to start your test!
After you finish the exam, please notify your proctor via the chat box to end the proctoring session.
A: You can expect the following during your proctoring session:
- The exam is timed, the timer will start as soon as you click to open the exam.
- You must complete the exam in one sitting.
- Once time has expired the exam will submit itself automatically.
- Once submitted, the exam cannot be resumed, even if time has not expired.
- You will see one question at a time.
- There will be no review after submitting the exam.
- If during the exam you come across a question you do not believe includes the correct answer, or more than one correct answer, please flag it and contact a Student Advisor once the exam is submitted.
- Questions: If you need help for any reason during the exam, simply notify the proctor via the chat box. The proctor will see you in real time and continue to monitor your mouse movement and screen during the exam process.
A: Authorized materials allowed during your final exam are course-specific. For a full listing of allowed materials, please review the Final Exam Policy Guide.
A: Online proctored exams are scored immediately. Your score will display on the screen when you complete the exam and your exam score will be available on the back of your course card on your MyLine Dashboard.
A: Yes, to cancel or change your scheduled proctored exam click the “Reschedule/Cancel Proctoring” link from the back of your course card on your MyLine Dashboard and follow the instructions with ProctorU.
A:There is no fee for proctoring sessions scheduled 72 hours in advance. For expedited proctoring, ProctorU has a small fee: Exams scheduled within the 72 hour window are subject to a $8 fee, while those scheduled for "Same Day" scheduling (within 75 minutes) are subject to a $12 fee. Fees for proctoring are paid directly to ProctorU through their website during the scheduling process.