Taking a gap year between high school and higher education is a great idea that has been gaining traction nationwide for a while. And with the onset of Covid19, more and more families are considering whether a gap year makes sense for their student – especially with uncertainty around a return to campus and what school will look like in the fall.
Whether or not your "gap year" plans are being pushed forward because of Covid, taking a year off before starting college can help you realize what career path you’d like to travel and give you the independence and skills needed to make the jump from high school to college.
Taking a gap year doesn’t have to interfere with your long-term education and career goals. Read on and learn how you can take a gap year and get ahead at the same time.
Take pre-requisites that can go into many different careers
- Many majors require the same pre-requisites, so even if you’re not sure the exact degree and/or career path you’d like to take, you can get some of these basic classes out of the way. Consider taking StraighterLine’s flexible, self-paced classes like math, English and other general education courses that all students will take, while you are in your gap year.
- You don’t have to take a full semester’s worth of classes while you focus on your gap year activities. Taking just a few classes on the StraighterLine platform will still give you the break you need while continuing to think about your future. Take only what your schedule truly allows and still come out ahead.
Be sure to get the most out of your gap year experience
- Although many formal gap year programs can be expensive, you can save big money by taking course at StraighterLine that would otherwise be spent on a more traditional education. Our flexible, low-risk, low-cost online classes will help you get ahead without breaking the bank.
- Because StraighterLine classes are affordable and work around your schedule, you won’t miss anything your gap year has to offer, including travel and job opportunities. Make the most of your experience while affordably earning college credit to use when you enroll with one of our nearly 150 partner colleges.
Boost your college application even further
- Colleges generally like to see interesting gap years on applications because the time spent provides a beneficial opportunity to learn, mature and find out what inspires you. During this time, a gap year can also show flexibility -- the ability of a student to pivot during this time of Covid, to regroup and still make progress on a college degree. You can boost your application by showing you’ve also been taking classes. This shows a commitment to your education, a flexible mindset, and your ability to focus on more than one thing at once.
You don’t have to think twice about taking a gap year when StraighterLine courses are so affordable and work around your gap year schedule or need for remote learning. StraighterLine student advisors are available to help you determine which classes are best for you and your areas of interest. Reach out today via chat at www.straighterline.com or give us a call (877) 787-8375 to get set up for gap year success.