Today’s post is the third in a series of practical tips on how to save money on college.
Today’s saving money on college tip is:
Take an additional course each semester.
As a busy college student, you may wonder why bother adding an additional course per semester. Here's why: students who maximize the number of courses each semester, beyond what is required, can reduce the total number of semesters it takes to earn their degree. Since the average 2014-15 tuition and fees at a 4-year private university is $31,231, the cost saving on your college degree can be significant. Eliminate enough semesters (and get a scholarship!) and you could cut your college tuition in half!
"Students who maximize the number of courses each semester, beyond what is required, can reduce the total number of semesters it takes to earn their degree."
You can approach adding an extra course per semester in a couple of different ways. First, you could enroll in an extra general education course online while taking classes at your college or by adding an extra course to your schedule beyond the minimum of what your college requires per semester. (Be sure to verify your credit will transfer and/or the maximum credit load your college will allow you to take per semester!) Or second, since online courses are self-paced, consider completing online course(s) in the breaks between semesters when you have time to focus on a single subject, and have the ability to move as rapidly as you want through course material.
Today’s scholarship highlight is:
Save up to 50% on Your Degree with a Brandman University Scholarship & StraighterLine
Brandman University is one of our participating StraighterLine Partner Colleges that have designed a scholarship especially for StraighterLine students.
Here’s how it works:
- Complete just 4 StraighterLine courses to be eligible for a Brandman University Scholarship.
- Take the maximum number of courses at StraighterLine that fit into your degree program and save up to 50% on your degree from Brandman University.
It’s easy to qualify for a scholarship at Brandman. There are no essays, lengthy applications or deadlines. All you need to do is complete four StraighterLine courses and transfer them to a Brandman University. Your discount will be applied to the participating college’s tuition when you enroll.
Related Posts You Might Be Interested in:
- Finish Your First Year (or More) of College at StraighterLine - Save Money on College Tip Twelve
- A Simple Way to Dramatically Drop the Cost of College If You are a Working Adult - Save Money on College Tip Eleven
- How to Get On the Most Direct Path to College Graduation - Save Money on College Tip Ten
- This May Be the Best Strategy to Get an Affordable College Degree - Save Money on College Tip Nine
- Maximize AP Credits to Accelerate your Degree - Save Money on College Tip Eight
- How To Start Saving on College With This Smart Hack - Save Money on College Tip Seven
- Test Your Way to a Cheaper Degree - Save Money on College Tip Six
- Where to Find Affordable & Accredited Degree Programs Online - Save Money on College Tip Five
- Here's How to Pay the Lowest Price for Your College Classes this Summer - Save Money on College Tip Four
- How to Save Money on College with Low-Cost Online Courses - Save Money on College Tip Two
- How to Pay Less for College & Get a Scholarship This Year – Save Money on College Tip One
- Education is Expensive – Lowering the Cost of College