Help CenterSTRAIGHTERLINE ETEXTBOOKS
- Online and Offline reading
- Note management - Highlight important passages and add notes to help you study
- Sync across all devices:
- Pick up exactly where you left off on your smartphone, tablet or computer
- Your important notes, bookmarks, and highlighted passages are transferred across all devices
- Copy/Paste features - Use to create study guides, note cards, or citations
- Citation tools - Instant formatting of quotes into MLA/APA style
For both new and existing StraighterLine eTextbook users, you must activate your eTextbook after purchase by clicking through to the book from the first lesson in your course.
Access to your eTextbook is unlimited throughout the duration of your course. When you complete your course, you will no longer be able to access your eTextbook.
Tutorial: Activating Your eTextbook
StraighterLine eTextbooks are provided through Bookshelf® from VitalSource. To access and read your eTextbooks, a Bookshelf® account is required. The first time you navigate to Bookshelf®, you will be prompted to set up your account OR you may login with an existing Bookshelf® account if you have used the service before. Please make sure to save this login for future use as it is separate from your StraighterLine MyLine account.
Tutorial: Creating a Bookshelf® Account
Your eTextbooks will default to open in Bookshelf® in your web browser. You can easily link between your course text and the corresponding sections in the eTextbook with a working internet connection.
If you have any difficulty opening your eTextbook in Bookshelf, check your computer to make sure you are using a supported browser.
- Download and install the Bookshelf® App for your device from the VitalSource Download Page.
- Login to your Bookshelf® account
- Download the eTextbook that you would like to the Bookshelf® App and start reading on your device!
Tutorial: Downloading an eTextbook to Your Device
This set of tutorials has been designed to help you learn more about Bookshelf® at your own pace. Additionally, you may find help and support materials specific to your device within the Bookshelf® App.
- Printing - To print the entire eTextbook, or just a few pages, use the print tools provided in the Bookshelf® App.
- Audio - Text to speech or read aloud features are provided in the Bookshelf® App.
Textbook/eTextbook use is permitted for open book exams only.
If your final proctored exam is open book, the proctor will allow you to navigate to the eTextbook in your web browser as needed during the proctoring session. The proctor will not permit eTextbook usage on your mobile phone or tablet during your exam.
Not all StraighterLine courses have a required textbook and therefore do not have an eTextbook version included with the course. Please check your course syllabus for information on required textbooks. If you feel that your course is missing an eTextbook in error, contact a Student Advisor for assistance.
Bookshelf® allows you to have 2 computers and 2 mobile/tablet devices activated at any given time. If you reach your maximum device limit, you must “Deactivate” one of your devices before you can “Activate” another. eTextbook use and access through your web browser (via links in your course) do not count toward your device limits.
No problem! You can purchase a hard copy from any retailer using the ISBN that is listed in your course syllabus. You will still get the eTextbook for free.