StraighterLine Partner College Profile: University of the Incarnate Word
StraighterLine has big news to tell! The University of the Incarnate Word (UIW), one of America’s finest universities, has just become a StraighterLine Partner College.
If you are unfamiliar with what it means to be a StraighterLine Partner College, CLICK HERE to learn more. In brief, it means that it is straightforward and simple to transfer the credits that you have earned in StraighterLine courses to UIW. In addition, UIW offers a special, streamlined admissions process for StraighterLine students.
About University of the Incarnate Word . . .
The University is one of the most respected institutions of higher learning in the state of Texas, with a long and rich heritage. It all began when the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word came to San Antonio way back in in 1869. The Sisters’ work began with the care of victims of a cholera epidemic. They established the first hospital in the city, an institution recognized today as the Christus Santa Rosa Health Care Corporation. Their ministry soon spread to the care of homeless children and to teaching. In 1881, they secured a charter from the State of Texas, which empowered them to establish schools on all levels.
In 1900, the Academy of the Incarnate Word, which had been established first in an area of San Antonio called Government Hill, was moved to the Motherhouse of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word in Alamo Heights. College classes were added to the curriculum in 1909, and the name of the institution was changed to the College and Academy of the Incarnate Word. Both the College and the High School became affiliated with the Texas State Department of Education in 1918. The college was fully accredited by the Association of College and Secondary Schools in 1925. The graduate division was added in 1950, and the school became co-educational in 1970. In 1996, it was recognized as a university.
In 1995, the University elected to move into new population areas, both in the adult education community and international arena. In 1995, the Adult Degree Completion Program (ADCaP) afforded adult learners the opportunity to get a quality education in the evening at an accelerated pace. In 2000, the University moved its mission and programs to the country of China, and became the first American university granted approval by the government of China to offer accredited degrees in mainland China.
In 2000, UIW also added the Universe Online, a natural extension of the mission and the entrepreneurial direction of the University. By utilizing computer mediated learning techniques, the University addresses the changing needs of adult learners. By maintaining educational standards of the traditional programs, Universe Online offers nationally accredited programs in a convenient format.
In 1998, the University was re-accredited at the baccalaureate and master degree level and approval was given to offer doctoral degrees by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of College and Schools. UIW, through its College of Professional Studies, is nationally accredited by the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs to offer degrees in Business Administration (BBA) and the Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree.
Other accreditations include the American Music Therapy Association, the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs, the Texas Education Agency, the Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education, the Board of Nurse Examiners for the State of Texas, the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education, the Joint Review Committee on Educational Programs in Nuclear Medicine Technology, and the American Dietetic Association.
The University also holds membership in the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education, the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, the Council for the Advancement of Support to Education, the Independent Colleges and Universities of Texas, the Higher Educational Council of San Antonio and the United Colleges of San Antonio. University of the Incarnate Word is a Charter Member of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities and qualifies as an Hispanic-serving institution (HSI) under federal guidelines.
On the undergraduate level alone, UIW offers college degrees in . . .
- Accounting - B.S.B.A. (Online)
- Administration - B.A. (ADCaP)
- Administration - B.A. (Online)
- Applied Arts and Sciences - B.A. (ADCaP)
- Athletic Training
- Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences (Online)
- Banking and Finance
- Banking and Finance - B.S.B.A. (Online)
- Bilingual Communication Arts
- Broadcast Meteorology
- Business Administration - B.S. (ADCaP)
- Child Studies - B.A. (ADCaP)
- Communication Arts
- Computer Graphic Arts
- Computer Information Systems
- Criminal Justice - B.A.
- Criminal Justice - B.S. (ADCaP)
- Criminal Justice/General - B.S. (Online)
- Cultural Studies
- Engineering Management
- Environmental Science
- Fashion Management
- General Business - B.S.B.A. (Online)
- Health Professions (pre-med, pre-vet, pre-dent) FAQ
- Human Resources - B.A. (ADCaP)
- Human Resources - B.A. (Online)
- Information Systems
- Information Systems - B.S.B.A. (Online)
- Interior Environmental Design
- International Business
- International Business - B.S.B.A. (Online)
- International Studies
- Justice and Peace Studies
- Management - B.S.B.A. (Online)
- Marketing - B.S.B.A. (Online)
- Mathematics (B.A.)
- Mathematics (B.S.)
- Music Education
- Music Industry Studies
- Music Therapy
- Nuclear Medicine
- Nursing - Traditional BSN Program
- Nursing - RN-BSN Program (ADCaP)
- Organizational Development - B.A. (ADCaP)
- Organizational Development - B.A. (Online)
- Political Economy
- Political Science
- Psychology - B.S. (Online)
- Rehabilitative Science
- Religious Studies
- Religious Studies - B.A. (Online)
- Sports Management
- Teacher Certification - B.A. (ADCaP)
- Teacher Education
- Theatre Arts
- Undeclared Major
- Vision Science
And here is a selection of some of UIW’s postgraduate degree programs . . .
- Accounting - M.S.
- Administration - M.A.A.
- Biology - M.A & M.S.
- Business Administration - M.B.A.
- Business Administration - M.B.A. (ADCaP)
- Business Administration - M.B.A./General Business (Online)
- Business Administration - M.B.A./International Business (Online)
- Business Administration/International Business - M.B.A./INTL.
- Business Administration/Sports Management Concentration - M.B.A./SMGT
- Communication Arts - M.A.
- Education (General Education) - M.A. & M.Ed.
- Health Administration
- Kinesiology - M.S.
- Sports Management - M.S.
- Mathematics Teaching - M.A.
- Multidisciplinary Studies - M.A.
- Multidisciplinary Sciences - M.A.
- Nursing - MSN Program
- Nutrition - M.S.
- Religious Studies/Pastoral Institute - M.A.
- Research Statistics - M.S.
With such an extensive array of majors and concentrations, UIW offers you terrific options, no matter what your career plans or ambitions are. And now that the University is a StraighterLine Partner College, making your career dreams a reality is easier than ever before.
Should a Bible College Be Part of Your Educational Plans?
Busted Myth of the Week: Everybody Should Go to Community College
StraighterLine or Community College: Which Works Harder for You?
Making the Best College Choice Possible