“. . . there's one degree that gives you the education to succeed at just about anything in the business world. It's an accounting degree. Accounting opens doors in every kind of business coast to coast. It can give you the foundation you need to go on and become a CPA. It can prepare you to become a partner in an accounting firm, to pursue a career in finance or corporate management, to work in government, or even to become an entrepreneur. In fact, no matter what you decide to do, having an accounting background can open doors wide.”
– Source: “Accounting: The One Degree with 360 Degrees of Possibilities," published by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
Why Major in Accounting Online
The quote above, from the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, explains why more and more students are majoring in accounting today. It also explains why so many colleges and universities are promoting their on-campus and online accounting degree programs.
One thing for sure? Being an accountant today means more than just crunching numbers. Accountants are now performing critical roles in all kinds of businesses. Some analyze data and identify opportunities to save money. Others identify repetitive and redundant functions within organizations and find ways to combine them and cut costs. Others are part of top management teams, where they help make better decisions about new products to offer, other companies to acquire, the cost of new facilities, and more. As the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants noted, an accounting degree “opens doors.”
Is a Career in Accounting for You?
Here are some sources of information that can help you decide . . .
- Visit The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants online and check out all the information there about becoming a CPA.
- Compare consumer reviews of online accounting degree programs.
- Check out StraighterLine student success stories about accelerating your accounting degree or earning your accounting degree online.
- Read How to Get Started in a Career in Business, an insider's look at business careers, including accounting, from StraighterLine.
Consider Taking Some Online Courses in Accounting
StraighterLine offers four excellent accounting courses. They deliver a top-notch way to make a wise decision about whether a career in accounting is for you . . . Here are the two most students take to start:
- Accounting I – In Accounting I, you will learn: how to use Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), ledgers and journals; and how to identify the steps of the accounting cycle. You will also learn to understand bank reconciliation methods, balance sheets, financial statements, assets and liabilities, equity, and business ethics.
- Accounting II - Accounting II picks up where Accounting I leaves off. Topics include: how corporations are formed and structured; how to define and use various forms of corporate budgets; how to analyze a company’s balance sheets and financial statements; and how to calculate and interpret financial ratios.