Save Money with StraighterLine, Buy Some Cool Stuff
Over the past weeks, we’ve covered some pretty serious topics like criminal justice and even pink eye.
We’re going to lighten things up today by asking a different kind of question . . .
If you took part in StraighterLine’s Freshman Year of College for $999 program, what kind of cool things could you buy?
For sake of argument, let’s assume that instead of spending $24,000 to go to a state university for your freshman year, you’re going to spend only $999 at StraighterLine. That means that you now have about $23,000 in your pocket. Here are some suggestions for stuff you could buy for that much money . . .
- A new Subaru BRZ – This is one hot new sports coupe. It lists for about $25,000, but if you haggle a little, it could be your new ride. You’re going to look great when you show up on campus in it for your sophomore year.
- A new house – You could use your money for a down payment. With property values running low from coast to coast, you can use your $23,000 to get a start as a real estate investor. You could even help your parents or kids buy a home. How cool would that be?
- New laptops – Buy one for you, your parents, your brothers and sisters, your kids, the guy who drives your bus, your mailman – EVERYBODY! You can afford around 10 MacBook Pro computers for your $23,000. People are going to like you a lot.
- A pretty nice wedding – If you’re going to get married, you can now pay for a wedding and reception. At the rate of, say, $250 per person at a catering hall, you can invite 92 guests for you $23,000. Not bad.
- A world cruise – You and a guest can afford to take Holland America’s 31-day Grand World Cruise. It leaves from Fort Lauderdale and delivers you to Auckland, New Zealand. You’ll be staying in a nice room with an ocean view. Not bad. Or if you want to go all by yourself, you can afford a mini-suite with a private veranda. (Don’t worry about getting lonely, you’re going to meet some people.)
- A new watch – You can pick out a doggone nice one – maybe even two – with your $23,000. You could buy something like a Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso for about $4,000 and have most of your money left over.
- The coolest week ever in New York – You can stay at the top-tier Sherry Netherland Hotel, attend a performance of Porgy and Bess on Broadway, take a ride through Central Park in a horse-drawn hansom cab, feast on oysters and caviar at le Bernardin, and buy yourself a new wardrobe at Saks Fifth Avenue or Henri Bendel. We’re not kidding. You can afford it. (You might have to take the bus back home, however.)
- Sophomore year of college – This is for you responsible types. If you only pay $999 for your freshman year of college, that means that you could have a nice chunk of savings that you could apply to your next year of college. As you have guessed, that’s the whole point of StraighterLine’s Freshman Year of College for $999 program. Aren’t you a . . . smartie!
Paying for College or a New Corvette - You Decide
$120,000 . . . $177,000 . . . Tales of Staggering College Debt
Can You Finish College in Three Years?
Freshman Year at College for $1000 or Less?
Scrambling the College Degree Timeline