Online Proctoring and Test Instructions
Q: What's online proctoring?
A: Proctoring is an important marker for online academic integrity and credibility. Just as technology makes it possible for you to learn from the comfort of your home, it also allows you take your exams there too. This means you don’t have to go to a classroom so that someone can monitor your test-taking. You can take your exams at home or anywhere you have access to a webcam with a microphone and a reliable, high-speed internet connection.
Q: Is proctoring required for my exams?
A: Yes. Online proctoring will be automatically included for any exam purchase.
Q: How do I schedule my proctoring session?
A: In most cases you will need to schedule your session at least 72 hours in advance. Below are steps for scheduling a proctored exam:
- Login to your StraighterLine account as a returning student.
- Under “Tests”, choose the test for which you want to schedule a proctored session.
- Click on 'Schedule Proctoring' and you will be automatically re-directed to the Online Proctoring Center to schedule.
- Click “Schedule Now”.
- Select an exam date and starting time.
- Click “Add Reservation”. You will receive a confirmation email immediately after you schedule a proctoring session.
Q: What do I need to bring to my proctoring session?
A: You will need two forms of IDs, one of which must be government-issued photo ID as proof of identification. Valid forms of government identification are:
- U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
- Driver's license or ID card issued by a State provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
- ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
- U.S. Military card
- Foreign passport
Q: What are the technical requirements to run the proctoring session?
A: Technical requirements can be found here: http://www.proctoru.com/tech.php
Q: What do I need to do prior to my proctoring appointment?
A: Prior to your proctoring appointment, you must:
- Test your webcam and computer. Make sure your webcam, microphone, and speakers are installed and working correctly. If this is your first time taking an online proctored exam via ProctorU, please visit www.proctoru.com/testitout to test your equipment. Be sure to close out any other webcam software before you visit the page.
- Download secure browser. The exams require the use of a secure delivery browser. The Secure Browser is a small 270K download that does not require administration rights to use and install, and is used for the secure delivery of computer based tests. This software does not transfer any information from your machine, nor is it resident in memory when you are not delivering a test. To download the Secure Browser, go to this link: http://www.straighterline.com/its/exam/downloadSecureBrowser/
- Find a well-lit, quiet and private room to take the exam. The lighting of your room must be daylight quality and overhead lighting is preferred.
- Prepare your exam day materials. You will need a government-issued photo ID as proof of identification. If your webcam is built into your laptop or desktop, you will need to bring a reflective surface such as a Smartphone, DVD/CD, or hand mirror. This is needed so your proctor can verify that the monitor surface is clear of any materials.
For ETS Proficiency Profile, the use of dictionaries and other books, rulers, compasses, protractors, slide rules and papers of any kind (other than scratch paper) is not permitted. Use of scratch paper is permitted and students may also use a 4-function non-graphing calculator.
For Collegiate Learning Assessment (CLA+) and ETS iSkills, the use of scratch paper, pen/pencil, and calculator is not permitted.
You can call 925-273-7588 (ProctorU) or (877) 787-8375 (StraighterLine Student Advisors) if you have questions about online proctoring or need any assistance.
Q: What should I expect on exam day?
A: At the time of your appointment, Login to your StraighterLine account as a returning student
Under the “Tests” tab, click the “Start Proctoring” link corresponding to the test you are taking.
After clicking the link, you will be automatically re-directed to the Online Proctoring Center, where you will initiate your proctoring session.
If you are a little early, you will see a countdown to the exact time of your appointment. After the countdown expires you will see a button that says, 'You have an exam. Click to start!'
After clicking the button you will be taken to the proctoring room, where, with the help of a proctor, you will go through the following steps:
- A proctor will connect with you via webcam. You are then connected to a video chat with a live proctor. This proctor will help you through the exam process and is available during the exam if technical difficulties arise.
- You will connect your screen to the proctor. This allows the proctor to see your computer screen and enables them to assist with step three and begin their exam.
- Finally, the proctor will need to know that the student is in fact the right student. The proctor will ask to see your photo ID, take a photo of you for your session record, and ask you to answer a few questions about yourself that are generated from public information.
Once you have successfully completed the above the process, you are ready to begin your proctored exam. You will be asked to launch the Secure Browser you’ve downloaded. If you do not already have a Secure Browser installed, click the “Start Exam” link under “Tests” on your MyLine dashboard, and use the link on the new page to download a version of Secure Browser for your operating system.
After you launch the Secure Browser, you will see a page asking for exam ID and password. The Proctor will enter the information using remote desktop to launch your test. You will then start your test.
If you need help for any reason, simply notify the proctor via the chat box. The proctor will see you in real time and continue to monitor your mouse movement and screen during the exam process.
No rest break is allowed for CLA+ and ETS iSkills. A 10-minute break is allowed for the ETS Proficiency Profile test.
After you finish the exam, please notify your proctor via the chat box to end the proctoring session.
During all exams:
- You have a limited amount of time to complete exams. Assessments are timed. The timer will start as soon as you click to open the exam. You must complete this assessment in one sitting. Once time has expired, the assessment will submit itself automatically.
- Unauthorized materials or aids are not permitted during exams.
After completing an examination:
- If you have any questions regarding your exam after completing it, please contact your student advisor [email protected]