If you see solutions where others see only problems, you have the mindset of a social entrepreneur. Social entrepreneurs find new ways to improve society, solve some of the world’s most pressing issues, and create social value as well as profits.
Perhaps your social venture will be the next Sanergy, which builds healthy communities by making hygienic sanitation affordable and accessible. Or maybe yours is more in line with The Water Project, which provides clean water to people who live in rural areas around the world.
"Social entrepreneurs identify resources where people only see problems. They view the villagers as the solution, not the passive beneficiary. They begin with the assumption of competence and unleash resources in the communities they're serving.”
- David Bornstein, author of How to Change the World:
Social Entrepreneurs and the Power of New Ideas
How Will You Make the World a Better Place?
It’s great to have a big idea. But to make yours come to life and change the world, you will need skills like these…
- Business planning skills that help you launch a social venture that addresses a social, environmental, or economic problem.
- Fundraising skills – both online and face-to-face – to launch your enterprise and help it grow.
- Social networking skills that spread the word about what you are doing and attract both funds and supporters.
- Partnering skills that enable you to identify corporations and other organizations that join up with you and help your organization grow.
- Branding skills, so you can create your organization’s name, tagline, logo, and other elements that speak compellingly to supporters.
- Management skills, so you can recruit the right people, manage your finances, write a business plan, market effectively . . . and more.
Get the Entrepreneurial Skills You Need
With our newly revamped Startups for Social Entrepreneurs course, StraighterLine offers students an affordable pathway to start making your social venture a reality:
Startups for Social Entrepreneurs (Certificate Only) – This new self-paced certificate only course option is offered EXCLUSIVELY through StraighterLine.
Startups for Social Entrepreneurs Program and Business Courses (3 Courses) – Includes a 6 month StraighterLine subscription in the course price and tuition to 3 additional business courses from StraighterLine.
Dr. Joos is a powerhouse in social entrepreneurship. In 2005, she founded the Sustainability & Social Impact (ISSI) Initiative in the Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation in the Warrington College of Business at the University of Florida. She’s now the Director of the Young Entrepreneurs for Leadership & Sustainability High School Summer Program at the University of Florida. Ashoka’s Youth Venture is an international community of young changemakers whose goal is to help an entire generation of young people take initiative to improve their communities now and throughout their lives.
Upon successful completion from Startups for Social Entrepreneurs, you will earn a Social Entrepreneurship Certificate. Plus, you’ll have all you need to know to get your social business started. Learn More.