By Danika Rockett, Ph.D.
It’s that time of year!
The month of May is the perfect symbol of growth and new beginnings, so it’s fitting that lots of graduation ceremonies are held in May. In fact, many StraighterLine partner colleges will hold their commencement ceremonies in the coming days and weeks, and oftentimes graduates and attendees are treated to a keynote address by a prominent alum:
- Grambling State University: May 8, keynote Congressman Ralph Abraham
- Northwestern State University of Louisiana: May 8, keynote Wall Street Journal reporter Gary Fields
- Liberty University: May 9, keynote Gov. Jeb Bush
- University of Louisiana at Monroe: May 9, keynote LA Department of Agriculture & Forestry commissioner Dr. Mike Strain
- Indiana Tech: May 16, keynote Orlando Magic co-founder Pat Williams
- American Public University System: June 13, keynote first four-star woman in Navy history Adm Michelle Howard and Co-Founder & CLO of Civitas Learning Dr. Mark Milliron
Other StraighterLine partner college commencements ceremonies:
- Paul Smith’s College: May 9
- Upper Iowa University: May 9
- Newbury College: May 10
- Bay State College: May 14
- Fisher College: May 16
- McNeese State University: May 16
- Mount Washington College: May 17
- Cecil College: May 18
- Brandman University: May 24
- Charter Oak State College: May 31
- Bellevue University: June 6
- Argosy University: June 9
- Kendall College: June 20
- California Southern University: August 8
Of course, dozens of other StraighterLine partner colleges will be celebrating the achievements of graduates this spring and throughout the year. Congratulations graduates and future graduates!
In honor of this awesome achievement, here are a few quotes to inspire you from some of our favorite commencement keynotes:
- The world doesn’t care how many times you fall down, as long as it’s one fewer than the number of times you get back up. --Aaron Sorkin, Syracuse University, 2012
- … always be guided by the light of knowledge and wisdom to shape your future, the future of your country, and the future of the world. --Ahmed Zewail, Caltech, 2011
- I don’t believe in luck; I believe in preparation. --Bobby Knight, Trine University, 2010
- The only time you lose at something is when you don’t learn from that experience. -- Chuck Norris, Liberty University, 2008
- Don’t let complexity stop you. Be activists. Take on the big inequities. It will be one of the great experiences of your lives. --Bill Gates, Harvard University, 2007
- Make the choice to do something because it engages your heart as well as your mind. Make the choice because it engages all of you. --Carly Fiorina, MIT, 2000
- With that last quote in mind, we encourage you to pursue the goals that inspire and engage you. We love helping our students succeed along every step of the way.
Our goal is to help take the stress out of the degree process by providing easy access to the resources you need to make that happen. So wherever you are on the path to your academic dreams, we’re here to help you succeed!
Congratulations 2015 StraighterLine Graduates!
Danika Rockett, Ph.D., is a course manager at StraighterLine specializing in English composition and communication. As a former English and Technical Communication professor, she manages all courses that involve qualitative assessment; she also helps develop and improve course content. She has nearly 10 years of university teaching experience, both online and in the classroom.